Sunday, June 12, 2011

Scientific Approach in Passing the NPTE

     The moment I have heard that USA is an open market for us Physical Therapist that's when I decided to pursue my dream of coming to America and practice my profession. I have undergone the a lot of holes in the processing of my credentials at FCCPT. Yes, you're right TOEFL_ibt was also a big time culprit in the delay not to mention the CWT5. It seems like the jokes never stopped to tease me and then came the suspension just days before my embassy interview. Isn't that great?
     Then came my first visitor's visa interview and that was just a day before the Georgia Order against FSBPT came out. Even before Georgia's decision there were already denials at the embassy stating the new ruling that our employers can file the H1b visa even without license. I was thankful that I was given a visa that day but also sad because some were not granted. But then I guess it's not yet their time.
     I was plainly on self review. I based my review strategy back when I was in college, which was a long time ago, on reading textbooks before exposing oneself to reviewers. As for me REVIEWER BOOKS are meant to be read after you have studied all the basic concepts in textbooks. In order to grasp the whole concept that is being discussed in these concise and trimmed down reviewers one should have a strong foundation of basic knowledge. Building this strong foundation does not happen in two to three months. I once heard some of my colleagues saying that they will review seriously two months before the exam and guess what they failed. What's the common denominator? They have failed to recognize the gravity of NPTE, and they are positive of the traits of being a CRAMMER!
     URGENCY IS THE EARLY SIGN OF UNPREPAREDNESS, NEXT IS CRAMMING... You will only get a positive result for cramming if it's a short quiz but NPTE is a test of endurance because you will sit there for more that five hours. How can the mind of crammer handle that?
     For those aiming to ace this ever challenging puzzle of NPTE you must condition yourself to total commitment to your goal. Assess your strengths and weaknesses. What do you consider a threat to your review or attainment of your goal? For re-takers, once you have received your scores why not request for Performance Feedback Report. You can use this tool to better assess how you did in the exam. Now, you make a contingency plan.
      I know most of you are familiar with the coverage and breakdown of NPTE and I find it very helpful. Try getting yourself acquainted to it because basing your review on the weight of each of these topics will help you focus on what subjects really matter. For example:
     >Equipment, Devices, and Modalities (Pedia & Adult) 22 questions... while
     >Foundations for Evaluation, Differential Diagnosis. & Prognosis (Pedia & Adult) 47 questions
     The point I am driving here is that you need to construct your review and study based on what is covered by NPTE and what topics needs your most attention. You must differentiate the must know from good to know during the course of your study. You will be taking an entry-level licensure examination so you have to think as an entry-level Physical Therapist who have graduated as a Doctor of Physical Therapy in the USA because that's the entry-level now.
     During the course of my review which was over one year, I used these references:
Physical Rehabilitation (O'Sullivan, Physical Rehabilitation)
Therapeutic Exercise: Foundations and Techniques (Therapeutic Exercise: Foundations & Techniques) (5th edition)      Physical Therapy Content Master    
    
    2011 NPTE (National Physical Therapy Examination) Review & Study Guide
Orthopedic Physical Assessment (Orthopedic Physical Assessment (Magee)) 
    

     Practice Test:
     > 2011 NPTE (National Physical Therapy Examination) Review & Study Guide 2009, 2010, 2011 sets A,B, and C
     > PTEXAM: The Complete Study Guide Sets A, B, and C
     > Dutton
     > Scorebuilders Online Advantage 3 sets
     > PEAT  

Differential Diagnosis for Physical Therapists: Screening for Referral (Differential Diagnosis In Physical Therapy)     I was done reading the four textbooks three months before the exam. I have read IER RSG three times and have done my final scan of it two weeks before May 25. I used the flashcards and my notes a week before THE DAY and have refused to see any books or attend any group discussions 2-3 days before May 25.
     It is best to study during the hours of the exam and afford yourself of a good night sleep of at least 6-8 hours because a well rested mind is sharper than a drowsy and overworked brain. If you're a night owl it is suggested that you change your sleeping habits at least two weeks before the exam not 3 days to avoid episodes of confused body clock. Please afford yourself  a day off. Studying long hours and seven days a week will swell your brain and all that you've read will all go to waste. I have seen this happen and you won't like it.
     One more thing, It's quite obvious that I prefer the TherapyEd RSG because it is more informative, exact and complete as compared to others. I came across Dutton but I never allowed myself to indulge much on it not because I'm satisfied with RSG and Scott Giles but because we have found some inconsistencies of information. I like its Practice Test though. So, if you really want to read it, better make it the last one.




3 comments:

  1. If you could please let me know if you have an idea of the difference between 4th and 5th edition of Thera Ex by Kisner and Ortho Assessment by Magee.

    Thanks a mill, it would be really a massive help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 5th ed of Magee is much better than the 4th ed because at the end of each chapter it summarizes the evidence of each special tests so you will gain a better knowledge which of the special test is to be used for a particular condition not to mention the much better graphics of 5th ed. For Kisner, what I have is the 5th ed and I have not came across with the 4th ed. I suggest you read the chapters about the special areas in Kisner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am re-taking the exam in a month. would u advice reading scott and giles also?

    ReplyDelete